Monday, October 1, 2007

Critique of Summary #3

(Sorry, I didn't post this with the summary together.)
First of all, I totally agree with the first rationale which is criminalize drugs for health problem. I think this is the most common heard reason for those who disagree with the legalization of drugs; and in my opinion, not only for the drugs using for recreational purpose, but also for any other purposes. Moreover, authors mentioned also that we should pay attention to some mild drugs too. There is one thing that shocked me, which is alcohol is a kind of drug. I never realized that it is a same substance with marijuana. I think what the authors said is useful and important, a drug, no matter is it light or heavy, would bring user physical or psychological problem more or less. That’s the reason why we say “cherish life, far away drugs”.
For the second rationale is also very important, government should try their best to prevent teenagers from drugs. However, it is true that “leakage” would happen. For example, the youth under 18 smokes, I think this happened a lot, although the authors focused on the illicit drugs use.
The most important point they stated is that we can help children prevent drugs by punishing adults as well as teenagers, I guess this method maybe useful, but could not completely stop teenagers from using illicit drugs. It is a big problem and hard to solve it perfectly.

No comments: